Wednesday, March 26, 2014

"Congratulations, it's all yours!"


 Hi sid_plested,
We hope you enjoy your BUCK ROGERS XZ-38 DAISY DISINTEGRATOR RAY GUN 1935 COPPER ORIGINAL. Pay now to get your item as quickly as possible.
eBay.ca
Welp...I just bought a used ray gun on eBay.

(Come to think of it, last week I found a time machine, this week I bought a ray gun:  is ANYONE ELSE'S March going a bit oddly?  Or is it just me?) 

I can't really say I did it by accident.  As per my previous post on Buck Rogers weaponry, the idea of spending over $150 on an antique Buck Rogers disintegrator pistol activates some kind of mental governor that just stops the whole process.  Unfortunately, the eBay seller in question must have read that posting, since the opening bid that they requested on their item was, you guessed it, $149.99.

In my defense, I honestly didn't think that I would be the only bidder.*  In fact, the lack of other interested geeks makes me wonder if I've paid more than I should have (with no offense to the buyer, I refer solely to lack of discriminating knowledge on my part that, based on the photos or description, should have stopped me from placing my bid).

The pictures on the listing look about the same as all the other pictures of 80-year-old Daisy pistols that I've seen on eBay - you can see that the finish is a bit worn, there's some rust on the emitter bell, and a bit of verdigris on the barrel, but again, they all look like this to a greater or lesser extent.  I've actually seen XZ-38s for sale at about the same price that looked like they'd been literally buried in someone's basement since 1935, so this one is not too bad.

However, it's a bit late for second thoughts - I bid on it, I won the auction, it's mine, and, honestly, I will not miss any meals because of the $150 that I spent on an antique toy.  The XZ-38 will be here in about nine days, at which point I'll be able to inspect it to my heart's content.  And then - release Wilma Deering or beware my wrath, evil hordes of Han! 
 - Sid

* I know, this sounds a lot like my defense for purchasing a Major Matt Mason figure.  Obviously I'm a little self-conscious about this sort of thing.

2 comments:

  1. Everybody needs a hobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to decide how to display it - should I ask Harold* to do up some kind of attractive stand in wood, or should I see if I can find something with more of a matching Buck Rogers aesthetic to it?
    - Sid

    *For casual readers, Harold is one of our brothers**, who does woodworking as a retirement hobby. He's quite talented, which is sort of surprising because he didn't show any interest in it before he retired.

    ** For even more casual readers, Dorothy is my sister.

    ReplyDelete