Thursday, July 4, 2013

"Damn it, Jim, I'm a receptionist, not a Star Trek fan!"


In all trust, there is the possibility for betrayal.

William Riker:  Legacy, Star Trek: The Next Generation
After a long and still somewhat jet-lagged day, I decided that it was time to fold up my tents and silently steal away, as the poet would have it.  Locking my office door, I nodded to Kim, who was seated at our departmental reception desk, and foolishly made the mistake of saying, “You have the bridge, Number One.”

“Oh, do you take the Second Narrows to get home?” (For the non-Vancouverites reading this, the Second Narrows is a bridge. It is the second set of narrows, rather than the second bridge. It is actually the third bridge to occupy that location. Don’t let any of this distract you from the issue at hand.)

Sigh.

“No, sorry, that was a Star Trek reference.”

“Oh! Ummm…so we should go to the holodeck now?”

“Thank you, I appreciate the effort, but it’s too late – I’m going to go home now and say cruel things about you on my blog.” *

I realize, based on previous experience, that I should have known better, but seriously, this must be a question on the company’s employment application by now:
8. DO YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT STAR TREK?
    (Please specify:  Original Series Y_   N_    Next Generation Y_   N_ )  
- Sid

*Actually, I think that this has been relatively polite - you know, more in sorrow than anger?

No comments:

Post a Comment