Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A cracking gift!



Today at work my department had its seasonal potluck luncheon and Secret Santa gift exchange, and I have to say that it's a pleasure to work with people who don't fool around when it comes to gift selection.  Someone showed the remarkable good judgement required to get me a Wallace and Gromit Liquid Clock 7000, a toy so dangerous to assemble THAT IT CAME WITH A SET OF ACTUAL SAFETY GOGGLES.  Yes, Glen Williams received a radio controlled car that would drive up the wall, but hey, safety goggles, Glen - SAFETY GOGGLES.

And, and, it works.  The clock is powered by a simple battery made of zinc and copper strips in vinegar (orange juice was the other option for an acid - sorry guys, but vinegar has a much longer unrefrigerated shelf life) and after carefully following the assembly instructions, I now have the digital clock cheerfully ticking away.

My only complaint is that the name is too simple for a Wallace invention.  It would have to be something like the Liquid-powered Clock-o-matic 7000 to really qualify.


On the other hand, I'm not so sure about where I myself qualify on the "Only for use by children over ten years old" scale.  Because, well, I'm still pretty excited about the goggles.
 - Sid

P.S.  Is there anyone in the audience who doesn't know about Wallace and Gromit, Great Britain's cheese-loving, tea-drinking, invention-building, stop-motion marvels?  A Grand Day OutThe Wrong TrousersA Close ShaveThe Curse of the Were-Rabbit?

2 comments:

  1. Well, as far as I'm concerned you have received the best Christmas gift of the year. And goggles too. Wow, colour me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to show/explain this one to me.......

    ReplyDelete