Thursday, May 17, 2012

Zero hour nine am.


And I think it's gonna be a long long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man.... 
Elton John, Rocket Man*
Do these things happen to me because I'm a science fiction geek?  I mean, if I was a big fan of, I don't know, cowboys or something like that, would I stumble across memorials to Roy Rogers or whatever every place that I went?

I ask because today I found a rocket ship in San Francisco.

I woke up this morning to clouds and fog, and a temperature that made me me grateful for my foresight in packing a sweater.  However, as I made my way downtown the clouds opened up, leaving the city with a flawless blue sky.

I decided to enjoy the changed weather by wandering along the waterfront and perhaps taking some pictures of the Bay Bridge, so I headed south along the Embarcadero.  To my astonishment, I immediately discovered a gleaming forty foot tall rocket ship à la Flash Gordon, complete with a posted route map and schedule.

To my intense disappointment, it turned out that it wasn't functional - damn shame.  If I thought that I actually had the option of catching the 11:17 to Pluto, I would have picked that over my Alcatraz tour in a flash.

(By the way, if you'd like more information about the Raygun Gothic Rocket, please visit http://www.raygungothicrocket.com for the full story.)
- Sid

* Geeks may prefer the famous William Shatner version over the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment