Sunday, October 23, 2011

Uncomfortable parallels.


This piece is a clear nod to a favourite childhood movie. I felt it was a great metaphor for the subject matter at hand: Is treaty really black and white or shades of grey? Do the “good guys” always wear white? Will there be a treaty empire and am I part of the rebel alliance? Ha Ha! I did insert a glimmer of hope in the chin of the mask--a small cedar tree seedling that represents a rekindling of awareness and growth. “A new hope,” so to speak....
Andy Everson, artist
My workplace is located near Vancouver's Gastown community, and my regular lunchtime walks with my co-worker Bill offer many opportunities to see what's on display for window-shoppers from cruise ships. Generally I don't pay a lot of attention to the merchandise, but a recent addition caught my attention immediately.


My first thought was that I had found nothing more than another strategy for relieving tourists of their money. To my surprise and pleasure, a little online research revealed that this particular print, created by K'omoks artist Andy Everson, is a deliberate, multi-level comment on the treaty system that still underlies Canada's relationship with the First Nations.

To be honest, along with that surprise and pleasure came a little discomfort - not easy to find out that you're part of the evil Empire.
- Sid

No comments:

Post a Comment